Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Cool learning method... strewing

A few days ago, The New Parent wrote an interesting article on strewing up.... a method of introducing new things to his little girl through discovery. I thought what a cool fun way of teaching Alycia and Sherilyn to read through discovery.

Yesterday when the gals were having their afternoon nap, I strewed flash cards around their room... one card in their mega blocks tub, two cards in their toys closet and one more card on their bed for them to discover.

Later that night, as they got into their room, they were so thrilled and surprised to see flash cards strewn everywhere. They thought mummy had forgotten to keep the flash cards back into the drawer. As they returned the cards to me, I read out the words and number on the flash cards to them. What fun way of teaching them to read. No coercion on them and they actually looked at the cards. Tonight, I shall strew a few more cards at different places in their rooms for them to discover.

These are some of the pix I managed to snapped candidly of Alycia and Sherilyn when they discovered the cards.








Mummy, the word "fun". Sherilyn always recognizes this word.


"How come there's a card here too mummy?"

7 comments:

mommy of 3 angels said...

i wanted to do that but with 5 kiddies in my house it was too much work...coz my lil niece & nephew comes to my house every day...my house = the nursery!!

Leena said...

that's a pretty good idea. sherilyn clever girl ah.. so young can recognise words d.

LZmommy said...

That's interesting! Like a treasure hunt!

cairo's mommy said...

hehehe i get my cool tips from the new parent too :D dat guy put a lot of thought into his child raising methods... lucky i stumbled upon his blog :D

Blog's author said...

Hi! That's sound like fun. I think I will try it out with my daughter too. Thanks for the sharing the information.

Anonymous said...

what a good idea, hehe...

Anonymous said...

Love the idea..! and applaud you .. for being so creative.. ;)