Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Chinese Dumpling


Chinese dumpling bought from the pasar malam (night market).


My mil makes one of the tastiest 'hum yoke choong' or chinese dumpling. Her dumplings are bursting with 'hum' or fillings inside the glutinous rice. She stuffs her dumplings with generous amount of pork meat, chinese chestnuts, beans, salted egg yolks, mushrooms and a special dried shrimps paste which she grinds and fries before stuffing them into the choong and wrapping the choong with leaves. Everyone adores her dumplings but she has not made them for 2 years now as last year she was in New Zealand and now, she's in Hong Kong.

As DH was craving to eat choong, he bought 6 of them from the pasar malam yesterday and his favourite style of eating the hum yoke choong is with castor sugar... yikes, how unhealthy. As for me... being a low-carb dieter, I only eat all the stuffings, minus the glutinous rice and pass all the rice to DH, the trash eater!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the cantonese style zhong too. My MIL makes the shanghaiese style..which is just glutinous rice and a piece of meat. Not my fav..but what to do, I'm too lazy to make my own zhong.

Anonymous said...

i love chang too....and this time, i am going to grab the opportunity to learn to wrap chang from my nanny !

Anonymous said...

Yums..! i haven't had "choong" for so long now.. ! really envy you ..!