Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Birds' Nest



That's birds' nest double boiled with 'pau sum' (a type of ginseng) and rock sugar. I love birds' nest and the only time I get to savour this expensive and exotic delicacy is when I'm pregnant. For both my pregnancies, I ate a lot of birds' nest. Whenever my mil was around, she would soak the nests and then painstakingly spend 2 days cleaning the birds' nest by using a tweezer to pick up dirt and feathers that are stuck to nests. Then, she would double boil the nests to perfection. However, when she's overseas, hubby would buy the instant ones from Lo Hong Ka, which I don't really fancy as they are tasteless when compared to the good quality ones that have been selected, cleaned and double boiled.

Last week, hubby bought 6 pieces of orangy colored wild birds' nest from Eu Yang Sang and got the owner of the shop to double boil the birds' nest. I've eaten 3 times and I have another 3 more rounds to go. They smell really good, like the aroma of cooked eggs. I was told that good quality birds' nest would emit the smell of cooked eggs when they are boiled. I was really touched by hubby's concern, well, I think he's more concerned of the baby! When I asked how much the birds' nest cost, my jaw almost dropped. The 6 tiny pieces of birds' nest cost a whopping RM600!!

7 comments:

MamaJo said...

Me too!! From 3 mths onward till giving birth...he,he..I only trust birdnest from S'wak...always got supply from there :P

Unknown said...

good, my sister has a lot during her pregnant. she will give birth next month n now still having it at least once a week.

Unknown said...

good, my sister has a lot during her pregnant. she will give birth next month n now still having it at least once a week.

Anonymous said...

Wow..!! that's how much he loves you lah..!! i want to eat bird's nest too.. when i was pregnant.. but where got in Canada..??

Mommy to Chumsy said...

hahha...daddy is also spoiling mommy :D you know, when i was carrying ashley, i took the bird's nest from Lo Hon Ka which comes in a jar. 1 tablespoon a day. cheaper :D

Anonymous said...

I loved to eat birdnest during my pregnancy but too bad my baby can't take it. During my pregnancy, I vomited 5 times after I eat birdnest and immediately my face had rashes. Rashes on my face took 3 days to dissappear.

Health Freak Mommy said...

ChrisBay... I think you have an allergy to birds nest.