Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Power of Distraction On Whiny Toddlers

Being a mother has never been easy. You've got to have tons of patience, endurance, emotional stability, physical and mental strength and a creative mind to come up with lots of ideas to distract in the hope of subduing a whining and crying toddler.

Sherilyn was whining away yesterday morning after her daddy had left the house for the office. She kept saying she wants daddy, she wants daddy and cried and whined as she sat on her potty for a good 15 minutes.
I tried to distract her with books and toys and cooked up silly stories to distract her but she wouldn't buy mommies' stories and same old silly tricks. My eyes were scanning the entire kitchen looking for something new to distract her and I spotted a bottle of dried star anise on the shelf. I took out one for her to touch and smell and voila..... Miss Spitty Spat Cry Baby's eyes brightened up and she immediately let out a wide grin as she took the star anise and smelled it.


I think I should make a trip to the grocery shop today to shop for some new items to stock up which I can whip up at anytime to placate 2 whiny toddlers.

4 comments:

Princess Mom said...

The power of distraction always works

Chinneeq said...

haha....like that also can ya...

cairo's mommy said...

quick thinking!

if only we all know that simple n cheap stuff from mother nature has the same effect as $$$ toys eh :p

too bad i'm no mistress of spices hehe... no star anise at home at all :p

Mamapumpkin said...

Cool idea. I must remember that the next time Tee has a meltdown. :-)