Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Don't Plant Unnecessary Fear In Your Child

Last night was the 3rd night in 1 week that Sherilyn cried and screamed in her sleep. If you had followed my blog, you would have read that last week, she cried till she puked and caused a big mess in the bedroom. It was around 11:30pm and I was downstairs working on my PC and hubby was watching TV in our room when suddenly, we heard Sherilyn screaming and crying on top of her lungs. I got a real scare coz the cry was a painful one. Immediately, I ran upstairs to check on her. Hubby had also rushed into the gals room to comfort Sherilyn coz we knew that she has a tendency of puking each time she cries. It took a few minutes before she stopped crying. When she had calmed down, we asked her what she was scared of to which she replied sobbing “big bad wolf”. I then comforted her and told her that there is no big bad wolves in our house and reassured her that wolves are only found in the jungle. I then put her back to sleep and got down to continue working on my PC but within 10 minutes, she screamed and cried again. This time, I stopped working and put her to sleep and slept with her all night till 7am this morning.

The moral of the story is do not plant unnecessary fear into your child though it may be to prevent her from doing something dangerous. I’ve told hubby not to scare the gals with ‘big bad wolf’ anymore coz both Alycia and Sherilyn seem to be really terrified when we mention “the big bad wolf is coming to catch you!”. Good lesson learnt for the both of us.

5 comments:

Mommy to Chumsy said...

thanks for sharing :D but then how do you sometimes teach them not to do something?

Health Freak Mommy said...

Barb... i guess we only 'frighten' them when we see them doing something that they are not supposed to. Other than that, dont harp on it and frighten them all the time coz that will only bring unnecessary fear to them, just like in my gals' case.

Unknown said...

Sometimes the kids play too much this will happen too.maybe you should try ask her not to play or laugh too much at night.Next morning,Did you ask her the what she scare of?

Ms One Boobie said...

Thanks for the tip.. ;) i think i better stop saying.. "ah nah nah will come catch you" eh... ;)

Health Freak Mommy said...

Sweetiepie...oh yes, i did ask her the next morning and she told me the same thing, i.e. "scared of big bad wolf!"